Wednesday 15 June 2011

Feelings.

Act out of who you are, not how you feel.

Sometimes is easy to act out of an emotion. For example, I could send someone an agressive message out of a moment of anger or frustration, or I could change my facebook status to something negative because I've had a rough day so i'm feeling down and upset. Or I could sit in a room of people with my arms folded and a frown on my face because I don't feel like being sociable today. However, all of these things are a result of what I am feeling and go totally against who I am.
How do I know who I am?
"Feelings are an insufficient guide to who you are...the Bible is the mirror that tells you what you're like." (Andrew Caughey) So quite simply, if I want to know who I am, I look to what Gods word says about who I am and then my actions should fall into line with what it says. For example, If it says I am an overcomer, my confession will always be that of an overcomer. And it is a choice that I have to make. I can either choose to allow myself to be ruled by my emotions, or I can bring my emotions in to line with who God says I am. Even when we find ourselves in situations that don't seem to have any positives, we can choose to stand on Gods word and allow our actions and our words to reflect who we are instead of how we may be feeling at that moment in time. Feelings always change but Gods word is unchanging.

No comments:

Post a Comment