Friday 22 June 2012

Be still.

"Be still and know that I am God."

[Psalm 46:10]

Sometimes we get so caught up in the whats, hows and whys of Christianity that we forget what really matters.
What needs to change in my life? How do I change this certain area of my life? Why do I feel this way?
I found myself asking these questions in worship the other day. What is stopping me from worshipping freely? How do I change my attitude? Why are my feelings not changing?
I came before God with all my questions, all my burdens, all my uncertainties. He had one question for me...

Do you know who I am?

You see, the whats, hows and whys are secondary to knowing who God is because the more I know who God is the more free I will become in worship. The more I know who God is, the more my attitude will change. The more I know who God is, the easier it will be to live in the Joy of the Lord despite how I may be feeling.

I hope this is coming accross the way it's intended to.


If you're worrying about how something is going to work out or how you're going to get to where you need to be, stop.
           The whats, hows and whys don't matter. All that matters is that everything we do is from an understanding of who God is. It's then that we can really be still and calm the storms around us because if we truely know that He is God, we will never have a reason to worry about anything else.

So not just in the good times, or the days that are less busy, but in everything;
be still and know that I am God.

1 comment:

  1. This is true and excellent. I remember studying this verse and the Hebrew phrasing is very enlightening. The "be still" part means to cease all activity, whether physical or mental, to let go, relax, let drop, refrain from. The "and know" part means to learn, perceive, acknowledge, recognise, confess, have revealed and know with surety in an intimate way. And the "I am God" is Elohiym and is phrased "God, the I AM" I agree with everything you have written and it has reminded me again of how important it is to fix my eyes on Him and let Him be God.
    Thank you once again.

    ReplyDelete