Friday 8 July 2011

"Big shots are only little shots who keep shooting."

So, I was playing Kung Fu Panda on the Xbox the other day and the aim of the game was to shoot down the targets. I figured if I aimed really well and took my time, I would get it in one shot. However, by the time i'd aimed right, my amazing friend James Carr had already shot it down. The difference was, I thought we had a limited amount of bullets and so I tried to get it right the first time and when I didn't, I gave up. James, however, was aware that he wasn't going to run out of bullets and that if he shot repetitively he would end up hitting the target with at least one of his bullets... and he did.

So why am I sharing this story? Well, it occurred to me that, in life, if we don't get something right on our first try we often give up because our pride has been hurt. We're very quick to brush things off as a fail and use it as an excuse not to try again. But doing this is like having an unlimited supply of bullets and only using one... & where is the sense in that? I'm not saying we shouldn't always aim to get it right the first time around. But what I am saying is that we shouldn't let it stop us if we don't. We learn from our mistakes, get up, and try again. 

In order to get somewhere it requires us to take one step at a time. It makes no sense for us to give up after one step because we didn't reach our destination. But in the journey there, every single step is important because it gets us that much closer. The moment we stop moving, we've lost the race. 
"But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." (Isaiah 40:31) It's those who put their trust in God with every step who will find themselves at the finish line saying "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith."
(2 Timothy 4:7)

No comments:

Post a Comment